Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: in-tree pristines fatally wounded (merge-fest e

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: in-tree pristines fatally wounded (merge-fest etc)
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 13:42:13 +0100

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 12:22:01PM +0100, David Allouche wrote:
> If I understand well, a revision is considered unlinked when all its
> files have a link count of exactly 1 (one). Usually, this should never
> ever happen. Every revision in the history is going have at least one
> file which is identical in the previous revision (the README, COPYING,
> bosskill man page, etc...). As long as this holds, you can prove by
> recurrence that no revision is ever going to meet the "not linked"
> condition.

Sorry for the noise... my reasoning is wrong...

At least, a revision will meet the condition when the immediately
following revision patch same set of files.

OTOH, on the more realistic pattern of

 1. patch files A, B
 2. patch files B, C
 3. patch files C, A
 4. rinse, repeat

There is going to be a dependence interlock, because revision N will
always have a _new file_ (that is the important property I missed
before) which is shared by revision N+1.

--
                                                            -- ddaa