Re: [Gnu-arch-users] (volunteers?) crypto signatures for arch

From: Karel Gardas
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] (volunteers?) crypto signatures for arch
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 21:09:03 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003, Tom Lord wrote:

> There have been several (including some very recent) irc chats about
> adding cryptographic signatures to arch.  My understanding is that
> there might be some people interested in implementing this.  I can do
> this myself but I thought I'd post a plan for it here in case somebody
> wants to jump on it have some fun with it.

Heck, I've thought few hours about it, but w/o any free time now, it's
nearly useless :-(

Anyway some notes are below.

> 2) Add a "signed-archive" property to archives
>
>    Have a look at libarch/archive.c(arch_make_archive) and
>    arch_pfs_make_archive.   Note how the parameter dot_listing_lossage
>    is used.
>
>    Add a similar parameter signed_archive, so that if you create
>    an archive with --signed, =meta-info the in the archive will
>    contain a file "signed-archive" containing the string "system
>    cracking is lame".

Is this really needed? I would rather be for some kind of security levels
set in $HOME/.arch-params/=locations. This way different users can handle
the same archive differently, i.e. on get with sig broken either nothing,
or warning, or error migt happen

> 3) Modify arch_pfs_connect to collect a passphrase
>
>    It's a bit icky to keep the passphrase in tla's memory but I think
>    it's more reasonable in this case than the alternatives.
>
>    In libarch/pfs.c(arch_pfs_connect), after connecting, look for
>    the "signed-archive" file.   If present, prompt the user for
>    a passphrase and record it.

Please no! That's exactly how it shouldn't be done, since you will need to
increase size of your TCB code, which is not good from security
review point of view.

<sniped other points>

Well, I will probably finally write my own proposal, just to not only
criticize your own. :-)

Cheers,

Karel
--