Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Star merging with 3 branches

From: Robert Anderson
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Star merging with 3 branches
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 14:58:13 -0500

--- Original Message ---
From: Aaron Bentley <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Star merging with 3 branches

>Hi there,
>
>We've been using CVS and are experimenting with Arch.  We have three
>branches going at the moment, and anything that makes merging easier
>would be great.
>
>We're using tla 1.1pre8
>
>I had assumed that Arch kept track of what had been merged so I
wouldn't
>have to.
>
>I thought once I'd star-merged and committed, attempting the same
>star-merge would be a no-op.  That's not how it seems.
>
>Here's our current tree:
>
>mainline
>   +-release
>       smallfeatures

You probably don't want to mirror that structure in arch.  You
probably want to create tag revisions for your "release" branch.

You probably want to branch smallfeatures from mainline.  Then
you should be able to merge mainline and smallfeatures using
star-merge.

You're trying to use star-merge in a non-star context.  Not too
surprising that it doesn't work in that case.

Bob