[Gnu-arch-users] Re: How to ignore a subdirectory

From: Marc Martinez
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: How to ignore a subdirectory
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 13:53:09 -0800

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 09:39:59PM +0100, John Seifarth wrote:
> Within the document root, in addition to the files that should be
> treated as source by arch, are one or more subdirectories whose
> contents arch shouldn't care about.
>
> So how do I convince arch to ignore a subdirectory within a source tree?
>
> If I just try to ignore it, all tla commands like 'tla what-changed'
> simply result in tla complaining that I'm 'missing explicit id for
> file  (try tree-lint)'.
>
> I don't want to add the directory, because then I'd have to add each
> file under that subbranch, and these files are not source files,
> they're dynamically generated by the application.

the approach I use (that doesn't require a bleeding edge tla build) is
to add the directory itself (so the full tree structure is represented),
cd into the directory, and then use:

    tla explicit-default --dont-care set

this way, Arch knows about the directory itself and the proper tree
structure is represented, but any "scratch files" or other dynamic
content will be ignored.

Marc