Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch lkml

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch lkml
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:49:40 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Bruce Stephens <address@hidden>

    > Tom Lord <address@hidden> writes:
    > > _Maybe_ something like that could be worked out but I think it'd be
    > > hard.

    > > Consider, for example, what happens not on `commit' but on, say,
    > > `update' where the changes brought in by update have renamed a
    > > top-level directory.  The id strings in all the files below that
    > > would have to be updated.

    > That's annoying, but I don't see a logical problem.

It's a pretty serious performance issue, I think.

    > > To make matters worse, if the update contradicts a local change (by
    > > trying to put to files at the same relative location) what are you
    > > going to do then with these ids?

    > That's a conflict, so there's no right thing to do---nothing that you
    > can do without getting the programmer to resolve the situation.  I'd
    > guess there are several ways of recording the problem; I'm not sure
    > which would be most convenient.

Related to that conflict:  what happens when two branches both add
logically distinct but same-location files -- then I try to merge from
both branches?

I take back what I said: something like what you've proposed (trying
to use relative paths as file tags) simply can not work.