Re: [Gnu-arch-users] 1.1 feature freeze

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] 1.1 feature freeze
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 17:18:33 -0500

In lists.arch.users, you wrote:

> There seems to be a rough consensus among an unofficial cabal of
> interesting people who'e expressed an opinion that the current state
> of tla--devo--1.1 should become release the tla1.1 release.
>
> I agree with that.

Great!

I'm aware of these outststanding issues, in order of importance:

1. (This one comes from Andrew Suffield). The tree-lint and inventory
  commands have a habit of listing .arch-ids in their output. This can
  have some negative side effects when piped through a tla add command
  that can catch both newbies and the unwary .

  I've already come up with a couple easy ways to solve this. Though I'm
  looking for better ways to handle the problem, my progress is
  currently delayed due to lack of experience in the inventory code.

2. Tla grab, which I really want in 1.1, is still broken. The problem
  seems to be in the way that grab is calling through the pfs layer
  (everything comes up 404).

  Prior to 1.1, grab should either be fixed or disabled. I'm a big
  proponent of fixing it because this allows us to "get newbies going"
  very, very quickly so that they can play the other commands and get a
  feel for arch quicker.

3. tla 1.1 on shipment should have a library-browse command of some
  sort. We need this because right now there isn't a user friendly
  way to inventory what libraries have been collected. My proposal
  for this would be an rbrowse equivilant for libraries.

  I could handle this one on my own in an afternoon.

4. rbrowse doesn't have all of the capabilities that abrwose does.
  However, rbrowse and abrowse in their current incarnations look stable
  to me so perhaps it would be better to save the full rbrowse
  implementation for 1.2.

  The problem I'm having with with porting abrowse functionality into
  rbrowse is that the abrowse code is deeply nested and I have
  difficulty understanding exactly what functionality abrowse provides.
  However, I'm starting to figure it out.

  My gut feeling is to leave things as they stand now and then I can
  dive into it properly after stability freeze. Though I could probably
  hack up rbrowse to do everything abrowse quickly, I don't want it to
  end up with an unmaintainable pile of spagetti...