Re: [Gnu-arch-users] "virtual" archives in arch

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] "virtual" archives in arch
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 14:24:30 -0600

On Sat, 2003-12-13 at 14:11, Mirian Crzig Lennox wrote:
> My idea is to create a virtual archive which speaks "pserver" protocol
> to a remote CVS server, but supports the interface defined by
> arch_archive_vtable in libarch/archive.h.  It would map the CVS
> semantics understood by the remote pserver to the Arch semantics used
> by tla, using heuristics such as are employed by cvsps and/or cscvs to
> fill in the cracks.

1> Feasibility. Not all of arch's semantics can be implemented in a CVS
repository -- atomic commits, for instance -- while keeping the contents
of the repository something that traditional CVS users still find
useful;  effectively, to maintain arch's useful semantics, you'd have to
make arch into another metacvs.

2> Performance.  Should you  decide to keep compatibility with
traditional (non-metacvs-like) layouts, a lot of operations which are
O(1) in arch suddenly become at least O(n) under your proposition, n
being the total number of files in the repository.

I'm sure there are other issues as well, but these are the first two
that come to mind for my non-guru self.