Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Automatic archive discovery, take 1

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Automatic archive discovery, take 1
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:29:44 +1100

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 09:12, Colin Walters wrote:
> > And what of folks with their archives publicly mirrored somewhere? Would
> > it have to be address@hidden and address@hidden
>
> Nah, we'd just special-case mirrors.

Don't casually special case thing.

Your proposal /feels/ wrong. I'm not sure if I can articulate it well...
but I'll try.

We currently have one level of indirection:
archive -> location

versions are first class objects, able to branch and merge regardless of
the archive they come from.

archives have a flexible naming format.

There is /no/ ownership guarantee between address@hidden and
address@hidden  The namespace treats them as unique.

What you are proposing has
one levels of indirection
'repository' -> location
  / archive-as-sub-dir

they have a less flexible naming convention

they require more special cases

they impose an ownership guarantee that is (IMO) bogus

What /problem/ are you trying to solve? At the moment you seem to be
solving 'archive names are too long' - and thats a bogus problem.

Rob