Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Are pristine trees really dead?

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Are pristine trees really dead?
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 08:19:30 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Florian Weimer <address@hidden>

    > Miles Bader wrote:

    > > On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 10:04:07AM +0100, Robin Farine wrote:
    > > > If you do a normal 'get', it will not populate the library since 'get'
    > > > does not need anything from it. Instead, try 'get --link'.

    > > Ah, good point; --link isn't necessary though, if you have a greedy
library,
    > > it should add a library revision as soon as you need one, e.g., if you
do
    > > `tla changes' or something (and of course get shouldn't create a
pristine dir
    > > underneath {arch}).

    > Well, it doesn't happen.

    > So pristine trees aren't really dead now.  Good to know.

Yes, they are.  The --library option to `get' makes get behave
(roughly) in the way that Miles thinks it should behave by default.
(It's slightly more agressive in that you don't have to have the
greedy flag set on the library.)

I agree that there's a CLI inconsistency there but still, in-tree
pristines are quite dead in the sense that it's easy to operate
without ever creating any.

I think that in the 1.2 series, indeed, a greedy library-find in `get'
is a good default.  But also in that series, in general, all commands
should have an option to suppress greedy library behavior, and it
might be worth thinking of ways to make greediness persistently
selectable with finer granularity (such as per-archive or per- some
smaller region of the namespace).

    > From: Pau Aliagas <address@hidden>

    > IMHO we should make better defaults:

I agree.

    > -create a .arch-cache directory and make it the default
    >  my-revision-library

Perhaps.   Another option I've been considering is to (by default)
make a greedy library for each particular local archive (including
mirrors) in that archive's directory.   If you work with many
archives, that can make space mgt. a little bit easier.

    > -make it greedy + sparse by default too

Sure.

    > And once this is in place:
    > -kill all [in-tree] pristine-trees code

No way.   Make it harder to invoke by accident, sure, but it has the
virtue of keeping the disk-space-mgt. problem very simple for some
kinds of application.