Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Error handling updates

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Error handling updates
Date: 24 Dec 2003 14:54:34 -0500

On Wed, 2003-12-24 at 12:48, Thomas Zander wrote:

> On Wednesday 24 December 2003 14:43, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> > [meant to post to list, but just posted to Tom]
> > Here's a patch that adds functions that can ensure a revision exists in
> > the archive.  It adapts tla get to issue the error "No such revision"
> > when the user enters a valid, but non-existant revision name.
>
> tla has been very correct in its error messages; which this one (from your
> description) seems to fit right into.

Actually, for this case, tla1.1 reports "corrupt archive".

> It would be nice if the error message would end with a suggestion to get the
> user on its way to solve the problem.
>
> So in addition to 'No such revision' it would be nice to print on a second
> line (to stderr)
> "check valid revisions using 'tla revisions'"
> Alternatively (less nice, but more in line with current tla)
> "  (try 'tla revisions')"

Unfortunately, I can't identify *why* the revision doesn't exist.  It
may be that the category or branch or version doesn't exist, and I don't
distinguish between those cases.  In fact, it tends to happen because I
leave out a hyphen between the category and branch

Anyone care to contribute arch_category_exists(), arch_branch_exists(),
and arch_version_exists()?

> Just to be complete; I would really like to see more intelligent error
> messages where possible; a few examples:
>  $ tla abrowse -A sftp://myserver/some/path
> invalid archive name sftp://home/zander/sources/archives
>
> Could additionaly give:
> "Is the archive registered, see 'tla archives' and 'tla register-archive'"
>

>  $ tla register-archive address@hidden sftp://wrongFoo/wrongPath
>  $ tla abrowse -A address@hidden
> ssh: : Name or service not known
> Error reading from server
>
> Could additionaly give:
> "Check if registered archive is correct, see 'tla archives'"
>
> Just my 0.02

Here's a beaut I just encountered:

address@hidden tla]$ tla make-archive --listing --mirror \
address@hidden \
sftp://panoramicfeedback.com/var/www/archives/
Failure

Anyone have any idea where that comes from?  The string "Failure"
doesn't appear anywhere in /src/tla

Aaron

--
Aaron Bentley