Re: [Gnu-arch-users] undo for single files?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] undo for single files?
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 20:26:54 -0500

On Sat, Dec 27, 2003 at 08:10:07PM -0500, James Blackwell wrote:
> If we added -f <filename> to "tla undo", then we'd end up making little
> one-file changesets that the user would have to rm if he didn't want them.

None-the-less, I think the proper solution is still to make `tla undo' accept
limits (just like commit, e.g, `tla undo -- file1.c file2.c').  Not just
because it's easier for users to remember/understand (though it is that too),
but because it's going to have to be done anyway: there are many cases where
I _want_ to undo the changes to a single file, do some tla commands, and then
redo the changes, and a limited undo + redo is the natural way to provid this
functionality.

If people don't like having to delete the resulting changesets, we could add
a `-x/--discard' option to undo -- but by default it will do the
conservative, safe, thing, which is to give the user a way to back out of his
action, and this is good.  Users who have learned a bit more about tla can
then use the appropriate option to trade off safety for convenience.

-Miles
--
Come now, if we were really planning to harm you, would we be waiting here,
 beside the path, in the very darkest part of the forest?