Re: [Gnu-arch-users] oh the heck with it -- tla-1.2pre0

From: Karl Waclawek
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] oh the heck with it -- tla-1.2pre0
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:48:38 -0500

> On Dec 30, 2003, at 11:11, Karl Waclawek wrote:
>
> > Also, what would this achieve that you cannot do
> > with a secure access protocol?
>
> Encrypted storage.  I.e. I could replicate my archive to a location
> that could mirror it for me offsite (I do this with a machine at my
> office) without anyone being able to see the contents of the archive in
> transit or on the system.

I see your concerns, but why should this be part of arch?
Secure access protocols give you protection in transit,
and security on the target system depends on who controls it.

It would make sense if you wanted to keep it secure on
a system that you (or someone you trust) does not control.
But then it would still be more a responsibility of the
storage layer, not of arch directly. It seems arch has
an abstraction layer for file system access and that is
where one could place a hook.

Karl