Re: [Gnu-arch-users] oh the heck with it -- tla-1.2pre0

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] oh the heck with it -- tla-1.2pre0
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 13:35:29 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Andrew Suffield <address@hidden>

    > > If I have N sites to whom I need to xmit an encrypted archive, there's
    > > no reason I can't make N separately encrypted mirrors.

    > Disk space and encryption time. Doing it for 5 sites may be
    > reasonable; doing it for 50 is impractical - and this won't change as
    > computing power increases (since the complexity of the encryption
    > systems must increase in step with avaialble computing power, to
    > defend against brute force attacks, usually by increasing key and hash
    > size).

In many situations, the fanout size will be small relative to the
economics -- some people can afford 50 mirrors especially for the
kinds of data sets we're talking about.

In all situations, peer-to-peer distribution or other distributed
computing/communication techniques will succeed in growing
computational, storage, and bandwidth resources with community size at
unitary-multiple-of cost to each community member.