Re: [Gnu-arch-users] extended attributes

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] extended attributes
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 23:21:41 -0500

Brian May wrote:

Hello,

Has anybody considered using extended attributes to store arch ids?

That way you get most of the benefits of the tagline tagging method,
but without requiring the modifications to the source files.

Anyway, just a thought... You might need extended attribute support in
tar and arch/tla first.
Some text editors save-as-tmp-and-rename. This breaks hard links, and I wonder whether it would also kill extended attributes. I suspect it would require more attribute-awareness than many apps have.

Aaron