Re: [Gnu-arch-users] extended attributes

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] extended attributes
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 20:37:00 +0000

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 12:25:33PM -0800, Tom Lord wrote:

>     > From: Andrew Suffield <address@hidden>
>
>     > > That costs you atomicity, specifically atomic update.
>
>     > (Yes, that really is the whole point. Think ACLs)
>
> ACLs are something entirely different.   Unlike extended attributes in
> general, they have a very specific semantics -- just like permission
> bits in an inode.
>
> It's a bit like (if not literally the case that) people implemented
> ACLs and then looked at the code and said "Aw, what the heck, why not
> surface this low-level detail to user space?   That way we can at
> least shut up the fans of forks on MacOS filesystems."

To throw a little more context out there, linux currently has at least
three different ACL-like systems supported by several different
filesystems, and all of them store their data in EAs. Get the point
yet? Note that tools such as cp(1) and mv(1) have the expected
behaviour for all of them.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |