[Gnu-arch-users] Re: extended attributes

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: extended attributes
Date: 05 Jan 2004 16:51:41 -0500

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 02:23, Tom Lord wrote:

> Classical unix filesystem semantics manage to surface a pretty
> abstractly clean model for a physically constrained process
> (filesystem implementation on a very broad class of tertiary storage
> devices).  The next step up, to a fully transactional file system, is
> a _huge_ step.

Perhaps a fully transactional filesystem was never what was needed.
Maybe all that's needed is a variant of rename(2) that only changes the
number of links, atime and mtime.

> It's not very surprising -- the semantics come out of an
> implementation process which amounts to "Ok, like multics, except with
> a relentless focus on `what is that we can quickly (and actually)
> implement?'."

Well, yes.  But some things that could be quickly implemented were not
because the need wasn't apparent.

Aaron

--
Aaron Bentley