Re: [Gnu-arch-users] extended attributes

From: Chris Mason
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] extended attributes
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 16:47:28 -0500

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 16:42, Tom Lord wrote:
>     > From: Colin Walters <address@hidden>
>
>     >> and a flat-namespace of attributes.
>
>     > At least on Linux now, the namespace is subdivided at the toplevel; it
>     > is separated into "user", "system", and "security".  The difference
>     > between "system" and "secure" is that the security namespace is only
>     > used for LSM modules.
>
> It's primarily "user" and secondarilly "security" (i thought they were
> called "trusted") attributes that I object to.   "System" attributes
> seem actually useful (ACLs being an example).

People have been debating EA usage and semantics for quite a while, and
that's not going to change any time soon.  For right now, I'd suggest
something like this:

1) support the acls, they're well understood

2) wait for diff and patch to support the EAs, then support them in
whatever sensible fashion diff and patch manage to come up with.

Tom's correct that EAs can mean new semantics in a lot of places.  My
opinion is that it is best to let the people most interested in testing
out those new semantics forge ahead, and then update the fundamental
tools like source code management after they are more established.

This doesn't mean eas are bad (I like them a lot), and it doesn't mean
they don't belong in source code management.  But it's probably not the
best idea to mix unestablished semantics with a long lived repository
format.

-chris