Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: SHA1 sums for checksums file

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: SHA1 sums for checksums file
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 18:18:57 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Neil Stevens <address@hidden>

    > On Tuesday January 06, 2004 4:25 pm, Colin Walters wrote:
    > > On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 15:55, Neil Stevens wrote:
    > > > As I jumped on tla 1.2pre0, moved all my sources to a new, signed
    > > > archive, I appreciate your making things compatibile again.

    > > To be completely clear, the only incompatibility remaining is that tla
    > > 1.2pre0 will barf on the newer checksums file.  But it was a test
    > > prerelease, so there should not be an expectation of strong
    > > compatibility constraints.

    > That's not the line that was given throughout the 1.1pre series.

Please relax.

1.1 can read the 1.2preX archives, before or after Colin's patch, just
fine.

1.2preX releases can read the 1.1 and earlier archives just fine.

The incompatibility Colin is talking about is that if I merge his
changes, then there will be some 1.2pre(X+1) which can generate
revisions that 1.2pre0...1.2preX won't like.

I don't happen to think that that's a big deal but if you persuade me
that it is, even that can limitation can be relaxed for some arbitrary
period of time.   Indefinately, even, if it's that big a deal.