Re: [Gnu-arch-users] extended attributes

From: Chris Mason
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] extended attributes
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 06:41:22 -0500

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 23:12, Tom Lord wrote:
>     > From: Chris Mason <address@hidden>
>
>     > I agree EAs are the right way to support acls in general, which
>     > is why we went that way for the reiserfs code.
>
> This is an implementation detail.   There is nothing in the semantics
> ACLs that implies EAs, and plenty that suggests the possibility of
> other approaches to implementation.

Very true.  But when you code ACLs in the FS, it's so close to coding
EAs that it isn't worth the trouble to avoid the EA code.  So from an FS
programmer's point of view, the EAs are practically free.

>     > The real question once you talk about supporting them in arch is how do
>     > you store them in the changeset.
>

> "them" meaning EAs?
>
> or "them" meaning ACLs?

Sorry, not being very precise, EAs, which could include acls.

> EAs are intractable, for reasons you go on to state.
>
> ACLs are doable but problematic.  It'd help if we had a global
> namespace for user ids (but, of course, we don't actually want one for
> independent reasons (reasons of independence, in fact)).  Before
> getting to representation -- which is a fairly trivial matter --
> there's the question of semantics.

Heh, we're going in circles.  My only real suggestion is that semantics
might change how you want to store the EAs, so until someone nails down
the semantics issue, it might not be a good idea to represent them in a
long lived changeset format.

Perhaps someone can find a format that won't care, but it isn't a
problem that needs to be solved in arch, it needs to be solved
everywhere.  For people interested in that kind of thing, diff and patch
are a good place to start.

-chris