Re: [Gnu-arch-users] extended attributes

From: Chris Mason
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] extended attributes
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 09:04:26 -0500

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 08:52, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 22:28, Chris Mason wrote:
>
> > I agree EAs are the right way to support acls in general, which is why
> > we went that way for the reiserfs code.
> >
> > The real question once you talk about supporting them in arch is how do
> > you store them in the changeset.
>
> Since in Reiser4, attributes are files-within the file, why not
> represent them the same way in changesets?  Or does the changeset syntax
> prevent that?

You could argue that all filesystem eas are really just files within the
file, with a slightly different API for reading/writing them.

In the changeset, you would want to represent the differences between
two versions of a file.  You could simply store the new attribute with
the file, if they are small it would actually take less space than a
real diff.

For larger eas though, you might want to be able to store some diff.

-chris