Re: [Gnu-arch-users] commit seal and fix

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] commit seal and fix
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 16:26:25 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Andrew Suffield <address@hidden>

    > On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 01:09:15AM -0800, Dustin Sallings wrote:

    > >         Is there a document somewhere that describes --fix and --seal
=20

    > Here's one I just wrote:

    > Ignore these arguments.

I have to pretty much agree with asuffield in light of how people
(including me) have come to be using arch.  They are effectively
vestigial options.

The original idea behind them presumed too much about how people would
map the arch namespace onto release names.   The idea  was (roughly,
and with exceptions) that release:

                foo-branch-X.YpreZ

would correspond to arch name:

                foo--branch--X.Y--patch-Z

while release:

                foo-branch-X.Y

would correspond to arch name:

                foo--branch--X.Y--version-0

(created with --seal) and release name:

                foo--branch--X.Y.Z

would correspond to arch name:

                foo--branch--X.Y--versionfix-Z

(created with --fix).

It's not a bad idea at all but there is too much entropy in people's
habbits about release names to promote it.