Re: [Gnu-arch-users] archive-mirror not pushing cacherevs?

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] archive-mirror not pushing cacherevs?
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 22:34:37 -0500

In lists.arch.users, Dustin didn't write, but I think he said:
    [cachedrevs aren't really patches and thusly shouldn't be treated as
     such. Move them to a cache dir rather than keep them with historic tla
     data]

Yeah, they seem like a different animal to me too.

But when I try and imagine how much work it would be to move cached revs
into their own dir..... well, I think it would be a big project that
would basically need a very, very wide consensus.

Here's some things that could be problems if we moved cachedrevs

* older tla clients would loose sight of cachedrevs for newer tlas, which
  would basically suck rocks.

* if we used a single, seperate directory to hold cachedrevs, we could
  be looking at a directory with a lot of files. As usual, I'm imagining
  a linux project which could convievably have hundreds of cachedrevs

* If we had a seperate nested directory structure, then we're basically
  doing the same directory structure twice. That can't be very
  efficient.

--
James Blackwell      Using I.T. to bring more             570-407-0488
Owner, Inframix      business to your business     http://inframix.com