Re: [Gnu-arch-users] hook questions

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] hook questions
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:38:24 +1100

On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 10:40, Dustin Sallings wrote:
>       Is the locking really necessary at this point?  You know your latest
> patch level, it will probably usually be safe to optimistically guess
> the next one.  If you can't lock that when you go to commit, it's
> because your tree is out of date and you abort the commit (which may be
> aborted for a variety of reasons later, anyway).

Yes, it's necessary. Otherwise you'll end up with commit sequences like
this:

patch-X contains 'patch-X' in the files.
patch-Y contains 'patch-X' in the files.

>       The point is that at any precommit (prechangeset?) hook, you're not
> guaranteed to get the revision number you think you might be getting
> (or even commit at all).  As long as that's understood, there are
> possibilities to do useful things with such hooks.

Such as ? All the key ones that can't be done before running tla commit
seem to involve the changeset id.

>       As for locking as late as possible, I've been having a problem with
> the lock being created when I go to commit before it realizes that I've
> screwed up again and am committing to a mirror.  This implies to me
> that the locking happens a little too early in some cases.

Oh yes, that bug I've seen, haven't fixed yet.

Rob