[Gnu-arch-users] Re: wiki duplication

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: wiki duplication
Date: 21 Jan 2004 11:39:05 +0900

James Blackwell <address@hidden> writes:
> > I'd say just dump the old wiki (gnuarch.org) and maybe mirror the
> > contents of wiki.sourcecontrol.net at that address.
>
> 1. How would you propose we contact the maintainer at the old wiki?

Don't know; I seem to recall him posting in the last few months though...

> 2. If we can do #1, what do we do about converting the database?

Simple: Don't.

I'm not proposing that the old wiki be kept at all, rather that it be
_removed_ as a source of confusion, and authorial effort focused on the
new one.

I suggest making the old address a mirror of the new one as an aid to
those who've book-marked the old location, nothing more.

> 3. If we can do #2, we'd still have to convert the data from the old way
> of marking up content to the new way.

Personally I don't think it's very important to keep the contents of the
old site.  I've spent a fair bit of time browsing it, and it's really
quite horrible to use.  It doesn't seem to offer much that isn't rapidly
being provided on the new wiki anyway, except perhaps for a few
historical tidbits.

Those few pages which _are_ useful, can be converted, but the bulk need
not be.

> What would (exactly) would we get from this? A copy of the old site,
> with all the old problems?

Less confusion for new users who find themselves pointed at the old wiki
(and see out-of-date information), and less annoying duplication of
effort for authors.

IOW, garbage collect!

-Miles
--
We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
-Oscar Wilde