[Gnu-arch-users] Re: history of "forked" files

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: history of "forked" files
Date: 21 Jan 2004 13:43:17 +0900

Andy Tai <address@hidden> writes:
> Hi,how can histories of "forked" files be tracked in Arch?  I mean,
> say I have a file a.c and later I moved a.c to b/a1.c and created a
> copy that will envolve independently as c/a2.c.  How can I ensure a2.c
> will have a.c's history as part of its own?

Files in arch don't really have their own histories as such.  You can
sort of make a `file history' by tracking a file's progress through
preceding changesets, and use the resulting set of _changeset_ logs that
file's history; I have a shell script, `tla-file-log' that does this.

However note that this method only tends to yield sane results for a
given linear sequence of changesets, such as those in a particular arch
branch/version (that's what tla-file-log does -- it shows a file's
history only for a particular branch/version).

-Miles
--
80% of success is just showing up.  --Woody Allen