Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Running arch on Windows

From: lode . leroy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Running arch on Windows
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 08:51:43 +0100 (CET)

What is the approach taken to make tla work on windows?

I've been hacking tla lately on cygwin..., I wrote a vu-filesystem
to replace the long paths like

/path/to/{arch}/with/subdirs-that-have-long-names

with

/path/to/{arch}/0
/path/to/{arch}/,,dirnames
/path/to/{arch}/0/1
/path/to/{arch}/0/,,dirnames

(the file ,,dirnames contains the local name mapping
/path/to/{arch}/,,dirnames [0 -> with ]
/path/to/{arch}/0/,,dirnames [1 -> subdirs-that-have-long-names)]

(kind of like what UMSDOS and Joliet do)

I also modified tar to behave in this setting
(i.e. cmd line and tar files contain the real long paths)

This is almost in a presentable state now... but I wonder
if others are proceeding on making arch work on windows?

(I also worked on vu-win32, a vu-filesystem that does the
unicode(\\?\$path) trick, but that's not working as well for now.)
The problem with these unicode paths is that there is no way
of dealing with them properly in the rest of the OS...

-- lode