[Gnu-arch-users] Arch usage case studies

From: Erik de Castro Lopo
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch usage case studies
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 07:02:11 +1100

Hi all,

This is my second attempt at use Arch for my source control. The problems
I had last time (October 2003) are gone. Specifically, those problems
were:

   0) Not able to set up an sftp archive (my fault).
   1) Difficulty in setting up the initial tree for import (fixed by
      improvments to "tla inventory" and "tla tree-lint").
   2) Dislike of explict tagging (fixed by tagline tagging for all but
      a very small number of files).
   3) Lack of .cvsignore-like file (fixed by .arch-inventory).

Arch is now a significantly better solution for me than both CVS and
Aegis (which doesn't play nicely with autoconf/automake). It also
seems to be a better solution than any other revision control system
that I am aware of.

However, learning Arch is still a very painful experience. I think what
would help is for relative newcomers like me to put together a usage
case study, which would show the steps we used to put a project under
Arch.

I'm willing to put one together from my experiences and I could put it
up on my own web ages but I think it would be better if it could go
on one of the Arch pages. Would that be possible?

Cheers,
Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo  address@hidden (Yes it's valid)
Microsoft : Yesterday's software running on today's
hardware tomorrow.