[Gnu-arch-users] Arch usage case studies

From: Erik de Castro Lopo
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch usage case studies
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 07:02:11 +1100

Hi all,

This is my second attempt at use Arch for my source control. The problems
I had last time (October 2003) are gone. Specifically, those problems
   0) Not able to set up an sftp archive (my fault).
   1) Difficulty in setting up the initial tree for import (fixed by
      improvments to "tla inventory" and "tla tree-lint").
   2) Dislike of explict tagging (fixed by tagline tagging for all but
      a very small number of files).
   3) Lack of .cvsignore-like file (fixed by .arch-inventory).

Arch is now a significantly better solution for me than both CVS and
Aegis (which doesn't play nicely with autoconf/automake). It also
seems to be a better solution than any other revision control system
that I am aware of.

However, learning Arch is still a very painful experience. I think what
would help is for relative newcomers like me to put together a usage
case study, which would show the steps we used to put a project under

I'm willing to put one together from my experiences and I could put it
up on my own web ages but I think it would be better if it could go
on one of the Arch pages. Would that be possible?

  Erik de Castro Lopo  address@hidden (Yes it's valid)
Microsoft : Yesterday's software running on today's
hardware tomorrow.