Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Making microbranches popular [was: Re-linking t

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Making microbranches popular [was: Re-linking to revlib implemented]
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 16:22:55 -0500

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 12:34:45PM -0800, Scott Bronson wrote:
> Personally, I could really use a way to hide obsolete branches.  Often I
> won't make a branch simply because, if I did make one every time I had
> the urge, in 6 months I'd end up with 30 useless branches cluttering up
> the output of tla rbrowse.  It's easier in the longer term just to
> cherry pick a bit.

Yeah. Me too.

I fixed rbrowse so that sealed trees are not seen by default. Then I
sealed all of my old branches. I was (and am) very, very happy with the
results.  I was so happy with the results that I rushed a merge request
to Tom.

The patch hasn't been accepted yet, mostly because Tom is busy doing more
important things. I'm hopeful though that he'll have time to consider it
before 1.2.0 final goes out.

This particular approach is quick, simple, isolated, and most importantly
doesn't require any changes to an archive.

Though its always possible that Tom could veto either the concept or the
patch, I think he's likely to take the patch if he actually tries it on an
archive that has a lot of sealed versions. It's just too damn convienant!

> Yes, this would be excellent if there were also a way to seal a branch
> and NOT hide it.

There is an option to show sealed versions as well.

> I also have a myproj--release--1.0 tree, which is tagged onto portions
> of myproj--mainline--1.0 and has also been sealed.  I want to rbrowse to
> show this tree forever -- it's always useful.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't have a good suggestion of how to go about this
> without introducing cruft.  :)

Yeah, I was able to come up with a couple other ways to get this sort of
functionality, but all of them involve storing configuration data either
in the user's .arch-params dir or (worse yet) in the archive itself.

--
James Blackwell      Using I.T. to bring more             570-407-0488
Owner, Inframix      business to your business     http://inframix.com