Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Making microbranches popular

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Making microbranches popular
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 09:46:53 -0500

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 03:28:28PM +0100, David Allouche wrote:
> The conclusion was:
>
>   Metadata is to be stored in a special "archive-metadata" category.
>   This fixes mirroring and atomicity issues and preserve compatibility.
>
> I hinted toward this solution earlier in the thread. It has a number of
> nice properties, like preserving good performance with abrowse and the
> like if the last revision is cached. But then we hit the "mirror update
> of cachedrevs" issue; ironically, that is an issue which can be fixed
> with the archive-metada category.
>
> The main problem with that approach is that it would require a new
> internal support infrastructure which is not present yet.

I'm not really sure what you're referring too -- are you suggesting that for
every operation that wants to look at some meta-data (which is quite a few at
least for the functionality I'm talking about), tla _check out a branch_?
That seems, um, absurd (absurdly slow, anyway)...

-Miles
--
`...the Soviet Union was sliding in to an economic collapse so comprehensive
 that in the end its factories produced not goods but bads: finished products