Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Making microbranches popular

From: Mirian Crzig Lennox
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Making microbranches popular
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 22:44:29 -0500

address@hidden (Tom Lord) writes:
>     > > Is the inevitable resulting user confusion really worth it?
>     > I think when you start munging names like this, user confusion is
>     > inevitable :(
>
> That's the #1 reason why I resist changes like this.   We have a
> perfectly servicable namespace right now with a clear structure.
> It's all downhill from here.   And, for what?  An imperfect support
> for "arbitrary names"?

Well, here's the thing: I would dearly love to sell my workplace on
the idea of ditching CVS for Arch.  However, that won't happen unless
Arch can support our version naming scheme, which is typically
[productname]-x.y-rel-z (for natural numbers x,y and z).  For example,
they want to be able to tag something as "2.1-alpha-4", "2.1-beta-3",
"2.1-rc5", and so on.  They most definitely are NOT interested in
saying "alpha-2.1.4", "beta-2.1.3", "rc-2.1.5", etc. because those
names have entirely different meanings to them, and to our customers
and beta sites.

And for what it's worth, I firmly agree.  Our version naming scheme
isn't uncommon, complicated or irregular; it's perfectly reasonable to
expect Arch to cope.  If it can't, we ought to fix it so it can.

Mirian