Re: [Gnu-arch-users] larger trees slowing down

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] larger trees slowing down
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 13:22:03 -0800

On Jan 27, 2004, at 12:49, Aaron Bentley wrote:

I think it's essentially because Arch permits renames.  We have to make
sure that we modify the right file, and in order to do that, we do a
whole-tree inventory, to find out the id -> filepath mapping.  That's
how we make sure that we're modifying the correct file.

Chris Mason has been looking at improving this performance by reducing
the need for whole-tree inventories.  See this thread:

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-arch-users/2003-12/ threads.html#00753

I suppose this makes sense for ``foreign'' patches, or cherry picking or whatever, but it doesn't make much sense at all in the case of a get. Any rename is going to be done by the patch itself, and all subsequent patches will use the new name.

I don't plan on doing a get on this tree very frequently, so I'll just wait to see if anything good comes of this in the meantime.

--
Dustin Sallings