Re: [Gnu-arch-users] NPO Time?

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] NPO Time?
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 21:24:56 +0000

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 01:28:58PM -0800, Tom Lord wrote:
>     > >     > You might want to make a temporary arrangement with an existing
>     > >     > organisation, like the FSF or SPI, to handle arch for now. That
>     > >     > way you get tax-free donations and payment systems that won't
>     > >     > make corporations scream and run away (they really hate personal
>     > >     > cheques and paypal), without having to wait.
>
>     > > In actual practice, such approaches are being attempted and obstacles
>     > > are arising.   That's part of the inspiration to raise this topic at
>     > > this time.
>
>     > Hmph. What's going on there? There are other players in this game;
>     > there's got to be *somebody* who could pick up the ball right the hell
>     > now.
>
> Mmmm... I have to beg off the question.   I've said enough.   Nothing
> scandelous is going on -- just gross inefficiencies that are the
> unsurprising and arguably appropriate result of various existing legal
> structures that the NPO proposal is _in_part_ intended to help repair.

Well, TBH I'm not all that surprised that the FSF is being uselessly
slow; they're mildly notorious for it. SPI is supposed to be okay but
has had a run of bad luck lately, so *right now* they're of no
use. Surely we can find somebody else who can do the job immediately;
taxable donations and paypal are pretty ludicrous by this point.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |