Re: [Gnu-arch-users] RFC: arch protocol, smart server, and tla implement

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] RFC: arch protocol, smart server, and tla implementation prototypes
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 11:04:11 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Robin Green <address@hidden>

    > On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 03:56:40PM +0000, Scott Parish wrote:
    > > I was thinking about this some last week; i've completely given up on
    > > the smart server as a cgi concept--it would work, but its too much
    > > of a hackish mess.

    > If you literally meant CGI, CGI is inefficient - separate process
    > spawned per request, which has to start up and restore state each
    > time. As opposed to a module or servlet or dedicated server or
    > whatever which can keep state in memory. So I agree.

At the time the CGI idea came up there was a problem users were facing
more commonly than they seem to recently: wanting to put up a remote
archive on a host to which they have incredibly limited administrative
access.   For example, a user might have a shell account somewhere
where they can put web pages and CGI scripts, but not have SSH or
WebDAV access to that host.   A CGI transport would let such users
host a secure archive.

As a side effect, a CGI transport _might_ have been a good framework
in which to experiment with smart server features -- but no doubt
Colin's new work is a better framework.