Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla 1.2pre2 seems broken -- can't tla add!

From: Samuel A. Falvo II
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla 1.2pre2 seems broken -- can't tla add!
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 21:37:04 -0800

> I'll agree that the message in question was not entirely useful to
> parties other than the original asker -- but that said, I'd hesitate to
> call it useless, just as the traditional one-line "RTFM" reply is not
> void of content.

Frankly, "User error" is as utterly useless to me as it was for other
people.  And it was absolutely, downright rude.  As many others who have
dealt with Andrew in other fora have told me (especially in #Debian
channel).

That's why I ignored it completely.

> "User error", like "RTFM", expresses something of value, particularly
> one who's assigning blame externally: "Go examine your usage, read the
> documentation, and figure out what mistake you made".

If college classes were taught this way, absolutely nobody would ever
pass a class.  If someone is in error, you need some kind of diagnostic
to tell you *what* is in error.  Just reporting the existance of an
error is just plain unhelpful.

Others have given more useful feedback which caused me to re-read the
relavent portions of the tutorial.  "User error" is *not* one of those
items.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II