Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla 1.2pre2 seems broken -- can't tla add!

From: Robert Anderson
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla 1.2pre2 seems broken -- can't tla add!
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 03:34:50 -0500

--- Original Message ---
From: "Samuel A. Falvo II" <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla 1.2pre2 seems broken --
can't tla add!

>> "User error", like "RTFM", expresses something of value,
particularly
>> one who's assigning blame externally: "Go examine your usage,
read the
>> documentation, and figure out what mistake you made".
>
>If college classes were taught this way, absolutely nobody would
ever
>pass a class.  If someone is in error, you need some kind of
diagnostic
>to tell you *what* is in error.  Just reporting the existance of an
>error is just plain unhelpful.

He did not just report the existence of an error.  He classified
the error.  Big difference, and more information than you seem to
be considering.

If you want to draw an analogy with college class, this is kind
of like a student going "professor, there appears to be a typo in
the answer key.  This can't be right.  How are we supposed to
learn this stuff if the answer key is wrong?"

And rather than the professor saying, "you're making mistake X"
he says, "No, the answer key is correct.  It's up to you to
figure out what you're doing wrong."

This is a helpful and indeed responsible answer.  This *is* how
people learn.  By thinking for themselves, and getting hints when
they need them.

All other subjective judgments withheld.

Bob