Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla 1.2pre2 seems broken -- can't tla add!

From: Brian May
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla 1.2pre2 seems broken -- can't tla add!
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 10:10:04 +1100

    Robert> If you want to draw an analogy with college class, this is kind
    Robert> of like a student going "professor, there appears to be a typo in
    Robert> the answer key.  This can't be right.  How are we supposed to
    Robert> learn this stuff if the answer key is wrong?"

    Robert> And rather than the professor saying, "you're making mistake X"
    Robert> he says, "No, the answer key is correct.  It's up to you to
    Robert> figure out what you're doing wrong."

Good point.

Here though, the value of this lesson was limited, because other
posters had already posted "you're making mistake X".

You good argue that this is a limitation of using mailing lists to
teach...

Even in the classroom setting though, other students can helpfully
provide the solution, potentially bypassing the lesson, too.

Thinking about the implications of what I said makes my head hurt ;-).
I think I will stop there...

PS. no part of this message is intended to be read as a complaint, I
personally think everyone did a good job at responding to the initial
poster. This is the *value* of the mailing list, you get a diversity
of opinions (both right and wrong), even with a clear and obvious
mistake like this one.
--
Brian May <address@hidden>