Re: [Gnu-arch-users] automatic messages (for archive cycling etc)

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] automatic messages (for archive cycling etc)
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:05:53 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>

    > The `multiple per-version file' variant I was thinking of was the obvious
    > extension of the single-file idea:

    >    A directory, say {arch}/=update-messages/, would contain some message
    >    files, and tla would print all of them (`in appropriate places').
Again
    >    that's it, no extra rules.

    > It would be up to the users to name the files in the directory to avoid
    > conflicts, though an obvious and simple rule to do so would be (as you
    > mentioned) just to use the affected branch/version name as the filename
for a
    > message about that branch.  However users could use additional or
alternative
    > file naming conventions as they see fit (e.g., adding a `.cycled' to the
end
    > of the version name or something).

I think that "in appropriate places" depends on what fqversion you're
working on.   Someone merging in changes from my version shouldn't
necessarily see a message I've left in there from your version.

            {arch}/=update-messages/$archive/$version/*

seems like what you'd want to show.

Seems like an aweful long way to go, though.