Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [newbie] Is it possible to put in a source file the

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [newbie] Is it possible to put in a source file the date of last tree commit?
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 17:32:45 -0500

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 09:07:17AM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
> > I would like, when doing a commit, to automatically put the commit date
> > and time in a source file of my project. I would like something like
> > $Date$ tag of CVS
>
> > Is it possible to do that with GNU Arch? If yes, how?
>
> No. The design to do so has been specced, but so far no one has
> implemented it.

I've seen arguments about this, but I wasn't aware it was actually
considered an acceptable feature to add to tla...

$Date$ tags seem more like a do-things-like-cvs-by-default reflex than the
result of actually thinking about a problem.

> Its (as cduffy says) arguably bad though, because you'll introduce tree
> wide deltas to every commit, without any gain

Yes

The info is already there, in a non-harmful form, in the patch-logs.  If you
want sort of thing embedded in your _executable_, it's easy enough to add a
Makefile tweak to extract it from the patch-logs.

-Miles
--
We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
-Oscar Wilde