Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Auto-registration

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Auto-registration
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 17:32:53 -0500

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 05:19:33PM -0500, James Blackwell wrote:

> > Are there technical or philosophical reasons why it's considered
> > a bad thing?
>
> At least one. The url you're talking about is actually probably this 99
> character monster:
>
> http://sourcecontrol.net/~miles/address@hidden/
>   emacs/emacs--cvs-trunk/emacs--cvs-trunk--0/

No, I don't think that's what Stefan was asking; he means:

   Why can't:

      tla get METH://LONG/PATH/NAME/FINAL-COMPONENT DEST-DIR

   be automatically expanded into:

      tla register-archive --no-complain METH://LONG/PATH/NAME
        => ARCHIVE-NAME
      tla get ARCHIVE-NAME/FINAL-COMPONENT DEST-DIR

To be honest I'm not sure; it does appear to be a basically unambiguous and
really fairly easy to implement.  There's no need to worry about the
archive's actual structure, just the path to its root (the actual archive
grovelling is completely through existing tla commands).

BTW, I added the --no-complain option with the intended meaning: `if the
registration already exists, don't complain, just check to see that it
hasn't changed'.

-Miles
--
A zen-buddhist walked into a pizza shop and
said, "Make me one with everything."