Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: file sharing semantics

From: Rob Weir
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: file sharing semantics
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 17:36:01 +1100

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 04:01:06PM -0500, Neal D. Becker said
> Charles Duffy wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 13:17, Neal D. Becker wrote:
> >> I just tried to edit a file owned by someone else, and cvs won't let me
> >> commit.
> >>
> >> How does tla handle this?
> >
> > tla uses the underlying filesystem's permissions. Depending on your
> > underlying filesystem, this can be anything from the traditional
> > user/group/other arrangement to full ACLs.
> >
> Doesn't the tool also get involved?  It seems to me that cvs changes mode to
> 444 of files I checkin, even though I made them 664.  So, my question is,
> what does tla do?  Will it archive with the mode of the original source, or
> modify it?

Yes, tla will include the file permissions in the changeset, restoring
them again on "get".  It doesn't store ownership, however (on Linux, at
least, you need to be root to change ownership anyway).

Or are you wondering about how it will be stored in the archive itself?

--
Rob Weir <address@hidden> | address@hidden  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:   AMW chameleon man ammunition PGP ASDIC Leuken-Baden LABLINK