[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Newbie -- setting up project with sub-trees

From: Stig Brautaset
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Newbie -- setting up project with sub-trees
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 07:52:57 +0000

On Feb 08 2004, Juerg wrote:

> I am new to arch (coming from cvs). I worked my way through "arch Meets
> hello-world", but now as I am about to set up a real project I am somewhat
> confused.
>
> This new project is a modular application, consisting of a GUI and many
> (dozens) of dynamically linked modules. Each of these modules is essentially
> an own project, having an own version number and potentially own branches.
> But it is part of the overall project. What I would like to have is one
> project tree that I can check out from arch, containing all the modules and
> the GUI. But the sub-directories should be independent in terms of version
> numbers and branching status. The tree should look like this:
>
> MyProject/

tla init-tree config--myproject--0.1

>   MyProject/GUI/

tla init-tree --nested myproject-gui--devo--0.1

>   MyProject/Modules/

tla init-tree --nested module-framework--devo--0.5

>     MyProject/Modules/Module1/

tla init-tree --nested module1--devo--0.1

>     MyProject/Modules/Module2/

tla init-tree --nested module2--devo--0.2

> How do I best go about that? Can I create nested archives in arch?

Yes. As I've shown above.

> Do I have to work with meta-projects (multi-tree project)?

Yes.

> I have to confess that I did not fully understand chapter 24 in "arch
> Meets hello-world". If I need a multi-tree project, could somebody
> provide me with a sample sequence of tla commands to set up the simple
> tree above?

I've done that above. You'd then have a multi-tree config like this in
your MyProject/configs directory:

./GUI                   myproject-gui--devo--0.1
./Modules               module-framework--devo--0.5
./Modules/Module1       module1--devo--0.1
./Modules/Module2       module2--devo--0.2

Have a look at the source for tla itself for more examples of configs.

Stig

--
brautaset.org