Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Setting tree revision for imported sources

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Setting tree revision for imported sources
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 08:32:41 -0500

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 12:31:51PM +0100, Jacob Gorm Hansen wrote:

> >   (1) do `tla get' of the branch (or use an existing dir from last time,
> >       and just make sure it's up to day)
> >
> >   (2) Remove all the sources, but not the .id files,  with something like:
> >
> >         tla inventory -s | xargs rm
> >
> >   (3) Unpack the new vendor tarball
> >
> >   (4) Update the (old) .id files to reflect any source changes.
> >
> >   (5) Do tla the stuff you want, tla changes, commit, etc.
>
> That was my original approach, I was hoping there would be a cleaner
> way. If tla sync-tree would also create the .id-files that would be the
> solution.

That wouldn't make any sense, sync-tree has nothing to do with .id files.

Indeed, I'm not sure how much better you can get that then the above --
obviously steps (3) - (5) are always going to be necessary, and steps (1) and
(2) are basically trivial (and easily stuffed into a shell script).

The only potentially hard step is (4), and that's going not going to change,
because it reflects a basic task that _must_ be done: you're changing the
source code outside of arch's control, so the .id files must be changed to
match.  [and of course you can use something like tla-update-ids to do most
of the work for you]

-Miles
--
Suburbia: where they tear out the trees and then name streets after them.