Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Enhancements for aba.

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Enhancements for aba.
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:24:08 +0100

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 20:25:44 -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Jan Hudec wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >In trying to merge my old arch wrapper with aba, I have done some
> >changes to aba:
> >

> Thanks, Jan.  Merged (with a few tweaks).
> Pretty well everything you did was something I already wanted to do.
>
> Alias expansion looks like it adds the variables to the script
> environment.  I wanted to keep them separate, which was why expand-alias
> was a separate script.  Is there a way to prevent those from coming in?

1) We might not be bothered -- only 3 or so variables are used, so if
   they are renamed with __ or some such. Also the order of processing
   might be changed so aliases can't override anything important.
2) Enclose the aliases in their separate namespace by preprocessing the
   alias file with sed g:=:s:^:alias_:
3) Convert the alias file to a sed script and avoid eval in substitution
   altogether.
4) Arguments could be converted by expand_alias one-by-one. expand_alias
   could be a sub-shell function (ie. with body in ( ) instead of { })
   (that way it would only be parsed once)

> Also, I'm not so sure we should be saying
> "External tla Commands" if the user renames "aba" to tla.  I figure an
> "aba command" is an "aba command" no matter how it's invoked.

Um, I just replaced aba with $abaname everywhere. But you are right
here.

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>