[Gnu-arch-users] Re: corrupt library (failed inode signature validation)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: corrupt library (failed inode signature validation)
Date: 13 Feb 2004 15:42:37 -0500

>  (1) You're using hard-linked project trees (made with `tla get --link' or
>      `tla changes --link'),

I don't remember doing something like that.  I'm still learning and trying
to stick to the necessary options (the only non-necessary ones I can
remember was to setup a library and to make it greedy and sparse),

>      instead of snapping the link.  If you use just Emacs and patch to do
>      your file mods, you should be safe though (I very occasionally forget

I've long ago changed my Emacs default to *not* break links, so it would
definitely not be safe.  That's actually one of the reasons I stayed away
from --link since I wasn't quite sure where the links would be placed and
I figured that the defaults were probably chosen so as to be safe.

>  (2) Your library is on NFS, or some other type of filesystem where device

It is indeed on NFS.  I don't thnk it's been unmounted/remounted since it's
my home dir and I "never" log out, but I did mistakenly hit C-M-Backspace
not so long ago and maybe the library was created before that...

>      numbers are not reliable.  I guess this is not really a user error,
>      more of a bug in tla (this is the reason I want to get rid of device
>      numbers in inode signatures).

Indeed.  Even inode numbers are not stable on some filesystem types.

        Stefan