Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla get PANIC

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla get PANIC
Date: 17 Feb 2004 17:24:51 -0500

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 16:44, John F Meinel Jr wrote:
> I'm trying to track down an odd tla PANIC. Specifically, if I do 'tla
> get' in an empty directory it works fine. But if I do 'tla get' in a
> directory that has other sub-directories, I get a PANIC.

That's not normal.  It should not matter what directory you get in.
You shouldn't get "PANIC: conflict applying patch in
arch_build_revision".  That implies that the archive has inconsistent
data.

> Why is tla looking in any of the other sub-directories, and what is it
> looking for?

AFAIK, The only thing tla checks is to make sure the output directory
doesn't already exist.

> One of my sub-directories is an old test directory that I
> created that would have the same repository id, but it was for an
> archive that I nuked as part of learning tla.

That should produce the error "get: output directory already exists"
unless you specify an alternate directory.

> Is there a reason that you are looking in a sub-directory and trying to
> patch it instead of just working in the directory I am in?

That's what tla get does by convention.  It assumes if you want to
source control your files, you also want them in a separate directory.
If you don't do that, you'll have to deal with all the other files that
aren't supposed to be a part of your package.

Other revision control system do the same.  Perhaps you've already used
"tla get" once and you really want to "tla update"?

Aaron
--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology