Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Why we might use subversion instead of arch.

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Why we might use subversion instead of arch.
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 19:43:48 -0500

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 05:01:57PM -0700, Pierce T. Wetter III wrote:
> behind me in grokking arch, whereas svn would be easy to move to.
>
>   Neither svn or arch have a GUI tool we can easily use on Mac OS X
> Cocoa that compares to CVL.
>
>   So we're still in the "CVS sucks, but does it suck enough to be worth
> switching" state.
>
>   Hence the "might use subversion" above. We might just stick with CVS
> until tla 1.4 :-)

I suppose if you're happy enough for the time being with CVS, that's not all
that bad a plan -- you can switch when something makes you go `Wow!', or at
least when the issues have had a bit more time to percolate in your brain.

Be wary of the `oooooooh, shiny' reflex though: a nice GUI tool is, well,
nice, but a lot less important than a robust and well-designed infrastructure
-- it's much easier to switch front-ends (should someone write a new whizzy
one that you like) than to convert all your repository data when you later
realize you picked the wrong thing!

-Miles
--
I'm beginning to think that life is just one long Yoko Ono album; no rhyme
or reason, just a lot of incoherent shrieks and then it's over.  --Ian Wolff