Re: [Gnu-arch-users] fedora core 2 will include subversion (and not gnu

From: Cameron Patrick
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] fedora core 2 will include subversion (and not gnu arch)
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 10:44:12 +0800

Neal Becker wrote:

| The test releases of fedora core 2 include subversion.  The largest barrier
| to wider adoption of subversion has been the difficulty of installation.
| This barrier is now gone.

*shrug*  Both tla and subversion have been in Debian sid for a while;
I've never considered the difficulty of installation to be a problem
with subversion.  (I find its binary format much more scary than its
dependency list!)

| If any gnu arch advocates want to see a wider use of arch, I believe now is
| the time to act.

Arch should be really trivial to package.  Pretty much all it needs
is diff, patch and tar - presumably even Red Hat includes these - and
the tla binary should be pretty much stand-alone.  That said, I
wouldn't have a clue about how to make an RPM of tla, or how to get
one included with Fedora.  Since I don't use Fedora, this doesn't
bother me :-)

Why don't /you/ act, if you care about tla in Fedora?  Perhaps make
your own rpm .spec file - I've seen ones for more complicated packages
that fit entirely on one screen - and see if you can convince Red Hat
to include your package.

Cameron.