[Gnu-arch-users] Re: patch implementing tla rm

From: Samuel Tardieu
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: patch implementing tla rm
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 02:55:50 +0100

>>>>> "Miles" == Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

[method for unregistering two patches in Darcs and committing a new
one which includes changes from the two former patches]

> Sounds like a mess to me (e.g., what if someone tagged off the
> erased changeset?  Whoops).

Of course, this is to do only if you have not published your changes
yet. And of course another commands exist to revert a patch with a
*new* patch instead of removing it (it is called "rollback" and
automatically records a new patch with a name of
"UNDO: <name_of_old_patch>").

> What's wrong with just doing the obvious (and oft-discussed in this
> mailing list) thing, and committing a changeset that reverts the
> source changes of the undesired changeset, but not its patch-logs?
> Then you get the nice functionality without the messy
> history-alteration.

Exactly, just as Darcs' "rollback" command. I just had to do this in tla
(to revert the patch adding --setup to init-tree since it was useless)
a few minutes ago, and did it the obvious way with "replay --reverse"
and "sync-tree" of the same version.

> AFAIK the only thing missing in tla is a handy command to do it in
> one easy step.  I'm not entirely sure why -- to the best of my
> recollection, the last time it was discussed the only disagreement
> involved command syntax minutia (though I suppose it could be that I
> just forgot some Big Problem)...

A new flag to "replay" to let patch-logs untouched alltogether? (which
combined with "--reverse" will bring us this useful functionality)

  Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- address@hidden -- http://www.rfc1149.net/sam