Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Why we might use subversion instead of arch.

From: Pierce T . Wetter III
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Why we might use subversion instead of arch.
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:39:31 -0700

 The main rough edge I see is that I think local-mirrors of a remote
archive should allow you to commit, with the changes propagating upwards to
the source. Especially a greedy mirror.

I agree, `write-through' mirrors would be a fine feature; I'd probably use
mirroring more if it were available.

I suppose the simplest version would be simply keeping two archive paths for each archive name, saying `use path A for commits, and path B for everything
else'.

Since tla already has an idea of an "ancestor" archive, perhaps it would make sense for things to just use that?

Because really, if I'm doing this right, without mirroring, I could have the following chain:

   master archive  (we'll call this "master")
           local child of master archive (we'll call this "cache")
                main work archive, child of "cache
                     ( we'll call it "pierce")

 Without mirroring, I could do:

  tla update -A "cache"      (copies master down to cache)
  tla update -A "pierce"     (copies cache to pierce)

  tla commit -A "pierce"     (copies changes to cache)
  tla commit -A "cache"      (copies cache to master)

Except what we really want is to be able to setup "cache" so that all we have to do is do:

tla update -A "pierce" (copies master down to cache, then cache to pierce)

tla commit -A "pierce" (copies changes to cache, then cache to master)

The update is probably pretty easy (I think that's what greedy mirrors do already?). The commit is harder, because you really want to do with conflict resolution between pierce & master, not pierce & cache. Perhaps as a first draft though, a transparent cache could just forward the commit automatically to its parent?

  Pierce