--keep-signatures flag (was Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Pull / Push based Mirro

From: John F Meinel Jr
Subject: --keep-signatures flag (was Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Pull / Push based Mirror)
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:13:41 -0600

I believe I understand what you are saying. Basically your
"swap-mirrors" command just changes where the ~/.arch-params/=locations
points to so that you can switch from RO to RW (because you checkout
locally RO, and checkin remotely RW). I think that you are definitely
one that could benefit from the write-through mirrors. I think -SOURCE
style mirrors should probably default to write-through.

Also, the issue with signing is that I _don't_ want to sign a mirror. I
want to keep the original signature. ~/.arch-params/signing/=default is
the _default_ way to sign an archive. To copy signatures you need to
tell the local archive what signatures you want, and that means
modifying the ~/.arch-params/signing/<archive> file. I'm just asking for
an argument to make-archive that creates that file and fills it out
correctly for you.

I'm willing to make the change, but since I'm new to the project, I
wanted to get some feedback to see if it might get integrated back into
mainstream tla. I realize with tla I can maintain my own branch. But I
don't really want to.

So what do people think? Is --keep-signature a good option name? How
should it handle it if the original archive isn't signed? How is that
currently handled?

Also, should I be discussing this on the Users list, or is this more of
a devel list question.
John
=:->

Dustin Sallings wrote:

I have an archive on a webdav server at home. My connectivity isn't that great, so big syncs take a while. I mirror that archive all over the place, but also write to it from various locations. if I run my swap-mirrors script so that the mirror is RO, it means checkouts happen from my local mirror. If I want to commit, I run swap-mirrors again to go into RW mode, which means operations all take place against my WebDAV server.

I also have mirrors that are neither -MIRROR or -SOURCE. It just means you have to manually specify both the TO and the FROM.

You shouldn't need to do this if your signing all works the same way. You can have a ~/arch-params/signing/=default (I believe that's the right path, I don't have signing set up on any of my computers here) that will apply for any archives you haven't specifically overridden.